Thursday, March 8, 2012

School Visits Are the Best

I recently did a school visit at a local school near my home. They had never had an author come to visit them before, so they were very excited. The faculty had to turn away some of the classes that wanted to hear me speak because of the fire code's maximum capacity in the gym. I don't think I've ever spoken to such a big group before. They had fourth grade up to ninth grade--with some interested third graders thrown in for good measure. They were a fabulous group and I had a lot of fun talking to them about how you go about writing a book. My favorite part of school visits are the question and answer periods that come at the very end. Here are some actual questions that were asked of me by kids this time:

1) Have you met J.K. Rowling?! (Don't I wish!)

2) Can you name one of the characters in your books after me? (Get in line behind the lovely ladies I work with who think they should all be in my books by now.)

3) Which team are you on--Team Edward or Team Jacob? (Uh--Team Peeta?)


Seriously--I kid you not. I almost burst out laughing right there on stage!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That's something I look forward to when I think of being published. I can't wait to talk at the local schools. I'd especially love to sit in on the creative writing class at the high school I attended. I took that class and think it'd be fun to teach it for a day. :)

Sheila A. Nielson said...

Rachel,
It is well worth it! Keep working toward your goal and one day it will be you up in front of a school encouraging young writers. : )

.

.


Total Pageviews

counter