Have you ever driven to work with a tadpole in your car? Well I did this morning. Two words. Water everywhere. And why did she have a tadpole in her car, you might ask? Because I'm a librarian. Librarians will do anything in the name of education and learning. Including chauffeuring around a live tadpole so the kids at the library can experience the joy and excitement of watching a tadpole change into a frog. The tadpole was still alive upon arrival so alls well that ends well.
Since I am the one in charge of displays at the library, our regular patrons and staff have grown used to seeing me carrying strange objects in and out of the building. Here is a list of some of the more startling things I've been spotted toting about.
1) A large pink dollhouse (fully furnished)
2) A life-sized robotic pony (You would not believe the crowd of children I attracted that day.)
3) A talking female robot with a pink miniskirt
4) A miniature covered wagon with a team of horses attached
5) A romote controled flying saucer (really flew)
6) A mermaid marionette
7) A live parrot
8) A live poodle
9) A fake heartshaped cake with frosting. (Kids kept asking if they could have a taste.)
10) Three Fairy dolls with wings that move
11) One large stone gargoyle
12) A miniature zoo complete with moving animals
13) A real sword (One little boy made his father come over and ask if he could hold it--please, please, please.)
And my particular favorite: The giant posable skeleton I was caught on the elevator with. Some rather well dressed wedding guests were on their way up to the ballroom and couldn't stop staring at it in horrified silence. It was NOT Halloween at the time.
What can I say, I'm devoted to my work.